Disclaimer: Ottawaresiliency.org does not endorse any particular website or organization. The following websites can be a helpful start in your search for housing!
- Some rentals in Ontario do not require the signing of a lease; however, signing a lease can guarantee stable rent prices, protect your rental period, and allows you to be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act
- Many landlords in Ontario request first and last months’ rent deposits when you move in. It is not illegal in Ontario, whereas it may be so in other provinces. Just remember if you provided a cheque for last month’s rent. You will also be paid interest for the last month’s deposit.
- If you are going to rent/buy a condo unit, we recommend always asking to read the condo association’s rules and regulations to avoid any nasty surprises
- Consider a real estate agent to assist you in finding an apartment/dwelling even if you are renting; their expertise can be very helpful
Claiming Moving Expenses
- If you are moving >40 km closer to work, then keep all receipts related to your move. The full listings of what is eligbible and ineligible to be claimed are available throught the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.
- If signing with a moving company, ensure you read the contract carefully for clear terms regarding broken items, missing items, and delayed delivery.
- Consider additional insurance if insurance is not included in your moving contract.
Know your rights!
- Ontario Ministry of Housing: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/page137.aspx
- Ontario Tenants: http://www.ontariotenants.ca/index.phtml
- Landlord and tenant board: http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/
- CLEO: http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/tenantsaccess
Websites to check out:
- Minto: https://www.minto.com/
CLV Group: https://www.clvgroup.com/
- Paramount Appartments: http://www.paramountapts.com/
- Padmapper: https://www.padmapper.com/apartments/ottawa-on
- Craigslist: http://ottawa.craigslist.ca/
- Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/h-ottawa/1700185
- Ottawa Real Estate: http://www.ottawarealestate.ca/
- Grapevine: http://grapevine.ca/
- Rent Board: http://www.rentboard.ca/
- Realtor: https://www.realtor.ca/
- Ottawa Real Estate Board: http://www2.ottawarealestate.org/home/default.htm
And of course consider listings from various real estate agencies for both rental and purchase options!